Enrolling My Child at Westgarth Primary School
- Prospective parents are requested to contact the school on 9481 5577, where an Expression of Interest will be completed by the office staff. This will be used to establish residency and/or a sibling claim.
- The closest school is determined by a ‘door to door’ measurement. To determine the ‘door to door’ measure Westgarth Primary School (WPS) uses a Google Map software tool to identify if WPS (Brooke Street, Northcote/ Administration) is the closest school ‘as the crow flies’ to the child’s permanent place of residence. This information is completed on the Expression of Interest held by the school.
- Proof of residency will be required in line with the policy. Please refer to list A and B requirements. Two pieces of evidence, one from each of list A and list B, must be sighted in original form as proof of residency.
- Certificate of Occupancy, Rates Notice, or Building Permit.
- A minimum 12 month residential lease.
- Utility bill – gas, water, electricity, phone – must be less than eight weeks old;
- Drivers licence; or Centrelink Concession Card.
- Expression of Interest applications lodged where WPS is NOT the closest school will be filed for future consideration and referred to the policy document.
- Due to the enrolment ceiling there is no guarantee that the Expressions of Interest where WPS is not the closest school will be considered.
- Families where WPS is deemed to be their closest school are welcome to participate in a school tour. Dates for tours are set in March and will generally be conducted in small groups during Terms 1 & 2 (Semester 1) and are by appointment only on 9481 5577.
- Individual meetings/tours will be arranged with parents wishing to enrol children with special needs and / or medical conditions where WPS is their closest school.
- Group tours for families to which WPS is not their closest school and local and wider community members will be conducted on the annual Open Day which falls during Education Week.
- Students seeking enrolment in year prep will be required to provide proof of age (eg Birth Certificate indicating that they have turned 5 years of age by the 30th April of the year they intend to enrol) and an Immunisation Certificate. No enrolment will be processed until all documentation is received.
- The Principal, Assistant Principals and Leading Teachers will conduct tours with the assistance of administration staff.
- School tours will be conducted on rotating identified days from March onwards, for small groups to whom WPS is their closest school, and proof of residency has been established. Individual tours will be conducted only on a needs basis.
- New prep students where WPS is their closest school or who have a sibling claim will receive an enrolment confirmation within three weeks of the school receiving their application. Activation of this enrolment can only be established if the age, closest school, residence, or sibling claims have been confirmed.
- New prep students enrolling for the following year will be allocated a class and advised by mail in December the year prior to their enrolment.
- A register of all ‘Expressions of Interest’ enquiries will be maintained.
- WPS will encourage enrolment of prep students of all local and current families in terms one and two.
Grade 1-6 Student Transition:
- The Principal or Principal’s delegate will contact the previous school of all students seeking to transfer from another school. In accordance with the privacy guidelines WPS will ascertain the circumstances of the transfer, seek a transfer note and where applicable an Immunisation Certificate, and discuss any academic, social, special needs or behavioural matters. The Principal has the authority to defer admission in order to seek information from the previous school in the interest of both the student and the school community.
- All children enrolling at WPS will be involved in a transition program according to their age and year level. The purpose of the transition program is for students to start at WPS with minimum disruption and maximum support.
- The Principal or delegate establishes which class the student will be allocated based on number of vacancies, student needs, gender balance, academic and social and emotional needs.
- A ‘New Student Induction Kit’ will be completed for all new families and filed in the Student’s Assessment folder.
This document is to be read in conjunction with the W.P.S Enrolment Policy.