Junior School Council
The Junior School Council (JSC) is a valued leadership opportunity for students at Westgarth Primary School. Two students in each Grade 3-6 class are elected by their classmates at the beginning of each year. Junior School Council members assist the Principal, staff and School community on matters of school improvement.
Junior School Council Representatives are positive role models for other students in the school, provide a voice for the students in Grades P-6 regarding matters that affect them, regularly report back to the students in classes, attend meetings and implement initiatives which raise student awareness of programs which make a positive difference to the lives of others. JSC supports a number of local and global citizenship projects including Home Ground, Cancer Council, Oxfam and UNICEF.
Junior School Council aims to:
- Develop skills in leadership and negotiation
- Provide the opportunity for students to participate in decision-making which directly affects them
- Provide experience and understanding of the functioning of the school
- Give the children practical experience in administration, meeting procedures and following through with decisions
- Provide an avenue for the children to voice their opinions and ideas in a formal, structured way
- Involve students in fundraising and Social Service
- Develop citizenship and a sense of student responsibility